Virtual Live Instructor
Free Training Manual
The Power BI Intermediate course is a 2-day course that is designed to build off of the introductory Power BI course and introduce students to some of the more advanced capabilities of Power BI.
Topics covered in the course include:
Target Student: This course is designed for student with some Power BI experience. Students should be familiar with the topics covered in the 20778: Analyzing Data with Power BI course, or have equivalent experience.
Section 1: Intermediate Power Query
Import from PDFs
• Getting data from a table in a PDF document
Finding data in web pages
• Getting tabular data from a web page
• Getting hierarchical data from a web page
Import the contents of a folder
• Import and merging from a folder full of flat files
• Filtering the files that get imported
Fuzzy Matching & Data Profiling
• Use fuzzy matching to combine disparate data sets
• Use data profiling to understand unfamiliar data
Create custom columns
• Add columns from examples
• Conditional columns
• Basic math
• Going beyond basic math: writing your own calculations
Section 2: Intermediate Data Modeling
Add What-If Parameters
• Create a What-If Parameter to enable interactive scenarios
Use Grouping and Binning
• Organizing non-numeric dimension data into groups
• Summarizing numeric ranges into bins
Generating DAX with Quick Measures
• Aggregating by categories
• Generating text
Use Time Intelligence
• YTD, QTD, MTD and Running Total Calculations
• Year-Over-Year calculations
Section 3: Script Visuals
The R visual
• Installing an R environment
• R basics
• Create custom visuals with R
The Python visual
• Installing a Python environment
• Python basics
• Create custom visuals with Python
Section 4: Advanced Report Design
• Use one of the built-in themes for your reports
• Create your own theme
Conditional formatting in tables and matrices
• Data bars
• Color scales
• Get more detail by Add a drillthrough filter
Add images to your reports
• Add simple images to your reports
• Add data-driven images to your reports
Use Report Page Tooltips
• Generate custom tooltips
Section 5: Advanced Dashboard Design
Building a better dashboard
• Presenting the most important things first
• Add context with special tiles
Designing KPIs in DAX
• Defining metrics with thresholds
• Add trend analysis to your KPIs
Use the KPI visual
• Show progress toward a goal
Use the Multi KPI visual
• Show your KPI with multiple streams of supporting data
Four Strategies for creating KPIs in Power BI Tables and Matrices
• Import from the Excel data model
• Use conditional formatting
• Use the DAX UNICHAR function
• Use image embedding
Section 6: Analytics
Characterizing your data
• Statistical strategies available in Power BI
• Revisting the data profiler
A tiny introduction to machine learning and predictive analysis in Power BI
• Add an ARIMA chart
• Linear regression with R
• Time series forecasting in Python
Please check the course description to find prerequisite information.
We offer live-instructor group training classes for your team.
Upskill your team from the comfort of your office or online.
Benefits of Group Training Include:
This was the class I needed.
The instructor Jeff took his time and made sure we understood each topic before moving to the next. He answered all of our questions, and I don't know about the rest of the students, but was very pleased with this experience.
I finally understand how to use Excel.
-Amanda T (Yale New Haven Hospital).
We were able to cover a lot of information in one day without getting overwhelmed.
-Maria R (Microsoft).
Instructor led training is a cost effective and convenient learning platform for busy professionals. Most courses are available at over 300 locations nationwide and Online.
The classes are taught via the RCI method by professionally certified instructors, and are usually limited to 12 or less students. Each student receives a training manual and practice problems, along with a free course retake. Click here to learn more about Instructor Led Training
Below is a list of upcoming Powerbi Instructor Led Class Dates:
We offer private Power BI group training services for organizations looking to upskill their team members with a live-instructor.
Training options include:
Learn more about how Power BI Private Group Training from Business Computer Skills can help your team.